When it comes to choosing between a hybrid vs foam mattress, it all depends on your individual preference. Both are worthy options, but one might irritate your allergies, make you uncomfortable or disturb your sleep.
Before making a decision, you need to do your research – especially if you’re ordering a mattress online. The better you get to know your next mattress the better your sleep will be!
Here is a breakdown of the Drumi hybrid vs foam mattress in a box to help you make the right choice.
Hybrid mattresses use rows of coil springs as the main support structure. These coils make up the core of the mattress, and are covered by top and bottom foam layers. These layers help add comfort and support to the sturdiness of the coils.
Many people don’t know that there are actually several different types of coils that can be used in a hybrid mattress. The three main options include:
- Continuous Coils: The coils in this type of spring mattress are S-shaped and made from one long wire. The interlinking of this coil system can provide a stable structure.
- Bonnell Springs: These springs are shaped like an hourglass, and are connected to each other. This can provide a great deal of support, but also means that motion transfer can be an issue.
- Pocket Springs: Most hybrid mattresses have coils that are wired together, but pocket spring mattresses include individually wrapped coils. This makes it possible for each pocket of coils to act independently and respond quickly to movement.
Drumi uses pocket springs because this helps prevent motion transfer in addition to a few other benefits listed below, including temperature control and support.
Drumi Hybrid Mattress Pros and Cons
- No off-gassing: Since the mattress is hand delivered and never compressed, there is no off-gassing smell, which usually leaves a chemical odor and takes a few days to air out. (Off-gassing typically occurs as chemical particles settle in new, manufactured items and they release volatile compounds that create a chemical smell. Since Drumi doesn’t roll compress mattresses, and uses less plastic in packaging, this eliminates the off-gassing).
- Enhanced edge support: The foam encased design helps provide support from edge to edge of the mattress, so you won’t ever feel like you are falling off the bed.
- Better air-flow: The pocketed coils allow for better air-flow, helping you sleep cooler all night long.
- Minimized motion transfer: The Serene® foam layer and pocketed coils helps reduce motion transfer so if you are sleeping with a partner that frequently moves at night, you will not be disturbed.
- Superior pressure relief: The mattress contours to the body’s shape, without putting too much pressure on the hips or the shoulders.
*Serene® is a registered trademark of Carpenter Co.
- Not vegan: Drumi is not a vegan product because we believe a full latex mattress or a latex hybrid mattress don’t offer the luxurious support. We think you shouldn’t have to choose between being eco-conscious and superior support. That’s why we designed Drumi: its hybrid, cooling design creates the ultimate comfort with sustainable materials that you can feel good about.
- More expensive: Since the mattress is hand delivered and made with premium materials, it’s more expensive than foam mattresses in a box. The initial payment may sting but when you break the payment down for the mattress’ intended lifetime of 10 years, you’re paying around $3 a week; an investment in better sleep overtime.
- Heavy: The high density layers in the mattress make the product quite heavy and difficult to move around.
Foam Mattresses in a Box
When you’re making a sandwich, how do you put together your ingredients? Bread, cheese, veggies then meat? Or bread, meat, veggies then cheese? And what kind of bread do you use? The construction of foam mattresses can vary just as much as your sandwich-making technique.
Every brand on the market has a different structure of diverse foams, all with varying levels of weight and density that offer certain features. The three main types of foam mattresses include:
- Latex: Latex mattresses can come in all natural, synthetic or blended varieties. There is usually a high bounce level with these types of mattresses.
- Memory Foam: This is a man-made foam constructed of polyurethane (poly) and other added materials. Memory foam is well-known for its contouring abilities.
- Poly Foam: In high-density foams, air can pass easily through the holes in the cells, resulting in comfortable padding. This type of foam is also made of polyurethane.
Two of the most widely used foams are latex and memory foam. Most foam mattress manufacturers also incorporate a high-density poly foam, which has a strong cell structure and high durability.
Foam Mattress in a Box Pros and Cons
- Contour: Foam mattresses can contour better to the body while also reducing pressure on critical areas.
- Reduced motion transfer: The structure of most foams can control motion transfer really well, which means you can sleep undisturbed.
- Cheaper: Foam mattresses can be roll- compressed in a box, making it a cheaper alternative to other mattresses.
- Don’t need to schedule delivery, can be dropped off anywhere.
- Not temperature neutral: If you’re most familiar with sleeping on a hybrid mattress, memory foam mattresses might sleep hotter than a hybrid mattress due to less airflow.
- Off-gassing smell: The rolled compressed foam mattresses give off an odor at first.
- Latex mattresses can be a problem for people with allergies to rubber. Latex Foams also tend to be very “bouncy.”
- Too many options: Online mattress companies tend to rename foams, making it confusing for the customer. Most online companies use similar foams.
Better Than Mattress in a Box
Drumi is not a “mattress in a box” company and instead wishes to differentiate itself from the crowd. Drumi is an online, luxury, hybrid mattress company, which combines the “best of both worlds.” Using a combination of foams, latex and pocketed coils, the mattress is designed to provide optimal coolness, comfort and support.
Drumi is seeking to differentiate themselves from the “mattress-in-a-box” competitors. The tightly rolled mattresses can take days to reach their final shape, without a delivery team present, customers must handle the large and awkward boxes themselves, and once opened they often begin “off-gassing,” which creates a chemical odor. Drumi therefore offers a Green Glove Delivery program, where their team will set up the new mattress in your room of choice, and remove the old one free of charge—all while minimizing wasteful packaging and plastics at every stage from design to delivery.
Though we think Drumi is a fit for any sleeper, we get the most popular feedback from light sleepers due to its minimized motion transfer as well as sleepers with back pain, due to its superior pressure relief. Check out our personal testimonials here.
Choosing between a hybrid vs foam mattress shouldn’t be stressful, and it’s important to us that you’re confident in your choice. We’re here to make your shopping experience honest and hassle-free. We believe in honesty and transparency, and therefore don’t hide behind mysterious “branded” names for the materials we use, because we’re proud to have built Drumi from the best of the best. We know choosing the right mattress takes time and research, so we don’t run confusing flash sales.
Another significant differentiator for Drumi is the company’s commitment to supporting ocean cleanup. With over 12 million tons of plastic flowing into the ocean each year, we decided to make a product with a bigger purpose, supporting the SEAQUAL INITIATIVE in collaboration with NGOs, fishermen and local communities, helping to clean the oceans of marine litter around the world.
In addition to the SEAQUAL INITIATIVE, Drumi also donates a part of the proceeds from every mattress sold to the Coral Restoration Foundation Curacao, a trusted organization that is reconstructing the coral reefs in Curacao. With each mattress purchase, Drumi customers “adopt” a young piece of coral in the foundation’s nursery, and a portion of the proceeds from that mattress sale will support its growth until it reaches maturity and is planted on the island’s own reef.